How will we stay healthy and active as truck drivers? We get this question a lot, and it’s a great one, because…let’s be honest. Truck drivers make up one of the least healthy populations in the country. And it’s no surprise, really. Long hours of sitting, punctuated by breaks at truck stops where a cornucopia of junky snacks, energy drinks, and McBellKingArby’s are at your fingertips. It seems inevitable…but it doesn’t have to be. So, we’re working a three-step plan to avoid becoming a statistic.
Food (and water)
Truck driving is far from the free-for-all food orgy that thru-hiking was (sad face), where our bodies metabolized anything and everything we ate. When you sit on your hinder 24/7, it’s important to make smart food choices. This job is hard on your body in lots of ways, but the biggest issue we’ve noticed is a serious lack of nutritious food available on the road. Our solution? We shop and do most of our food prep at home to stock the truck with healthy options so (most of the time, anyway) we don’t succumb to truck stop temptation. As we go out for longer periods of time, we’ll need to also shop on the road and cook in the truck, so we have a plan in place for that, too. Luckily, our company provided us with a nice, big fridge to keep all our fresh food in (it’s nearly empty now because we’re heading home today).
We’ve been trying on a low-carb, high-fat way of eating, and it really seems to be working for us in terms of keeping us full for longer and having far less cravings. Plus, most of what we’re eating is easily cut into snackable portions. Here’s what some of our daily foods look like.
Add to that, lots of water throughout the day (plus a cup or two of coffee), a light dinner of chicken, broccoli, and raw sauerkraut and/or avocado, and that’s pretty much our routine for now. Shout out to Robin TootsMagoots Grapa for educating me on this way of eating. She has been an inspiration to us in so many ways, and is truly an amazing gal. Read more about her and her bad-assery here.
Don’t get me wrong…we REALLY enjoy food…a lot. Which is why nothing is truly off limits. My philosophy has always been 90/10. If 90% of the time, you’re putting clean, nutritious food in your body, the other 10% of the time, eat what you want. Food is meant to sustain you, but is also a source of immense enjoyment. Life is short…eat that Double-Double Animal-Style In-N-Out burger!
Sometimes you eat eggs and veggies and do jumping jacks at the fuel island.
Other times, you watch Netflix and eat kettle chips and ice cream.
It’s called balance. 😉
More on our second step (sleep) and third step (fitness) in upcoming blogs. Plus, we’ll give you an inside tour of our new truck, Maximus the Road Warrior.